Everything they had told you about fats is false. Recent studies have confirmed that high-fat foods, including saturated fats, are not as harmful as we thought. In fact, foods that have a high fat content can be incredibly healthy. Let’s look at 10 high-fat and healthy foods that will surprise you with the amount of benefits they bring to your health and daily life.
1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil:
Extra virgin olive oil is the star ingredient of the Mediterranean diet and probably one of the healthiest fats that exist. It is rich in vitamin K, vitamin E, omega 3 fatty acids, oleic acid and numerous antioxidants. In addition, all monounsaturated fats present in extra virgin olive oil resist high temperatures, making it a perfect cooking option.
What Healthy Benefits Does Olive Oil Have?
- It significantly reduces the risk of heart disease.
- It lowers blood pressure.
- Prevents the formation of unwanted blood clots.
- Prevents oxidation of LDL cholesterol particles.
- It helps reduce joint pain and inflammation caused by rheumatoid arthritis.
- It prevents some types of cancer and infections.
2. Coconut and Coconut Oil:
Coconut and coconut oil contain 90% saturated fat , which makes them the richest sources of saturated fat. However, its saturated fatty acids are different from most other fats. These are medium chain triglycerides, which are metabolized differently: they pass from the digestive tract directly to the liver, where they can be used as a source of energy or are transformed into ketone bodies.
What Healthy Benefits Do Coconuts and Coconut Oil Have?
- They lower blood cholesterol.
- They prevent infections caused by fungi, bacteria or viruses.
- They contribute to weight loss: reduces appetite
- Reduce epileptic seizures.
- They improve the complexion and the hair.
3. Chia Seeds:
Chia seeds contain about 80% fat (per calorie). However, most of these fats correspond to an omega 3 fatty acid called ALA (alpha linoleic acid). Likewise, and despite their small size, these seeds concentrate an important amount of nutrients with multiple health benefits: magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, fiber , protein …
What Healthy Benefits Do Chia Seeds Have?
- They satiate the appetite.
- They are rich in antioxidants.
- They are an excellent source of fiber.
- Reduce the risk of heart disease.
- They improve physical endurance.
Avocado is a special fruit: unlike other fruits , it contains mostly healthy fats and not carbohydrates. In fact, avocado contains 77% fat (per calorie), of which oleic acid is the most abundant fat. But avocado is not just fat… Avocados are packed with vitamins and minerals: vitamin K, vitamin C , potassium, vitamin B5 … and are a great source of fiber .
What Healthy Benefits Do Avocados Have?
- Reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- They raise the “good” cholesterol.
- They improve the symptoms of arthritis.
- They prevent eye diseases such as cataracts.
Nuts are a high-fat and healthy food. The almonds, for example, contain 73% fat (by calories) .
“Nuts are high in fiber and protein of vegetable origin, as well as magnesium and vitamin E”.
Almonds, nuts and macademia nuts are some examples of healthy nuts.
What Healthy Benefits Do Nuts Have?
- Reduce the risk of heart disease.
- They prevent type 2 diabetes.
- They reduce appetite.
Cheese contains 72% fat (by calories). It is an excellent source of calcium, vitamin A, vitamin B2, vitamin B12, phosphorus, selenium and zinc, among other nutrients. Also, cheese also contains a lot of protein : a slice of cheese contains the same amount of protein as a glass of milk, 6.7 grams .
What Healthy Benefits Does Cheese Have?
- Prevents osteoporosis.
- Reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Low lactose.
7. Dark Chocolate:
Dark chocolate is one of the best sources of antioxidants on the planet and one of the most delicious foods. It contains 65% fat (by calories) and is especially rich in minerals such as manganese, copper, iron and magnesium.
What Healthy Benefits Does Dark Chocolate Have?
- It lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow.
- Increase the “good” cholesterol.
- It improves brain function.
- Protect the skin from the sun.
For a long time, eggs have been considered unhealthy because of their high cholesterol and fat content. And it is that a large egg contains 212 mg of cholesterol and 62% fat (by calories). However, recent studies and research have already decoupled the alleged relationship between cholesterol and egg fats and an increased risk of heart disease. The egg is a completely healthy food and loaded with nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, standing out mainly in its content in choline (brain nutrient) and high-quality protein.
What Healthy Benefits Do Eggs Have?
- They have a high satiety index.
- They contain numerous antioxidants that protect against eye diseases.
- They provide almost all the nutrients the body needs.
9. Whole Natural Yogurt
Whole natural yogurt (not “low fat”) contains the same important nutrients as other high-fat dairy products. It has 47% fat (calories) and is full of probiotic bacteria, essential to regulate the intestinal flora.
What Healthy Benefits Does Whole Natural Yogurt Have?
- It helps improve digestive health.
- It helps fight heart disease and obesity.
Note: always read the label of the products you buy. Most of the yogurts we find in supermarkets are low in fat and are packed with added sugars.
10. fatty Fish:
Salmon, mackerel, trout, sardines and herring are some examples of fatty fish. Fatty fish contains 40% fat (by calories) and is incredibly rich in omega 3 fatty acids, high quality protein and all kinds of nutrients.
What Healthy Benefits Does Fatty Fish Have?
- Protects against loss of vision related to age.
- Reduces the risk of developing type 1 diabetes.
- Prevents and improves symptoms of depression.
For those who cannot eat fish for some reason, fish oil supplements are an excellent option to meet the needs of omega 3 and vitamin D fatty acids.