Well, tiger nuts are actually the tuber of a weed plant. Since they have the “nutty taste”, and also the size of a walnut, people recognize them as a kind of nut. In Spain, tiger nuts are well known for being the main ingredient of horchata, a kind of sweet milk made from tiger nuts. In addition to processing in sweet drinks such as horchata, people commonly consume tiger nuts such as nuts or flour.
Nutrition Facts of Tiger Nuts:
Like the other nuts that are beneficial to health, such as the health benefits of hazelnuts and the benefits of peanuts during pregnancy, tiger nuts also have many benefits such as the valuable nutrition it contains. Based on research, for every 1 ounce or about a handful of nuts contain:
- 2gr protein
- Carbohydrates 9 gr
- 10gr dietary fiber
- 1gr fat and other valuable contents such as vitamins and minerals, including magnesium, iron and zinc.
25 Benefits of Tiger Nuts For Health:
As already mentioned, tiger nut has many health benefits. Therefore, here are the 25 health benefits of tiger nut:
1. Anti-aging Agent:
- As mentioned earlier, tiger nuts have many nutritional components, they also act as a source of antioxidant.
- Vitamin E from tiger nuts plays its role as an antioxidant that can slow aging.
2. Regulates Blood Pressure:
- Tiger nuts contain many beneficial minerals, such as potassium.
- It is said that potassium is very useful for lowering blood pressure.
- In addition to potassium, the magnesium in these wrinkled skin tubers is also able to regulate the heart rate and maintain normal blood pressure levels.
3. Relieve the Headache:
- In addition to the minerals contained in tiger nuts, such as magnesium and potassium, which are good for human blood, the soluble fiber of tiger nuts is also beneficial for blood.
- It is able to maintain good blood circulation. Therefore, diseases related to blood vessels, such as headache due to inflamed blood vessel, can be avoided.
4. Prevents Heart Disease:
- The fact that the potassium in tiger nuts is able to regulate blood pressure also reduces heart disease.
- In addition, they also contain vitamin E, which has also been shown to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
5. Helps Maintain Good Digestion:
- More than 30% of tiger nuts contain dietary fiber that can make you feel fuller for quite a long time.
- This is how tiger nuts can maintain our body weight. Dietary fiber is also good for our digestive system.
- In addition to dietary fiber, they also have enzymes that help digestion, such as amylase, lipase and catalase. The good state of the digestive system allows us to have a good excretion system and eliminate the toxic and waste of our body.
6. Protect from Cancer:
- Like the other plants that can protect us from the benefits of cancer such as pomegranate for cancer, the nutritional value of tiger nuts can also protect us from cancer.
- Vitamin E helps protect our body from damage caused by free radicals.
7. Keeps Cholesterol Low:
- About 80% of tiger nuts are made of fat. However, only 18% of these contain saturated fats.
- In other words, like the health benefits of olive oil, the fats contained in the oil of tiger nuts are fats that are beneficial to health, especially for lowering cholesterol.
8. Help Prevent Diabetes:
- These super tubers can also prevent diabetes with the dietary fiber they contain.
- Fiber is a type of carbohydrate that cannot be easily digested, so it will not easily raise blood sugar.
9. Keeps the Liver Healthy:
- In some countries like China, tiger nuts are used as a liver tonic.
- It is believed that the beneficial nutrients contained in tiger nuts can strengthen liver function.
10. Help Against Bacterial Infection:
- One of the health benefits of tiger nuts is that it is capable of fighting bacteria in the human body.
- One study found that tiger nuts can be used to fight bacterial infections such as E. Coli and Salmonella, especially for those that have been resistant to antibiotics.
- The ability of tiger nuts to fight bacterial infections is useful for curing infections such as those found in the Symptoms of Streptococcal Bacterial Infections.
11. Boosts the Immune System:
- The ability to fight destructive bacteria while helping good bacteria produce tiger nuts can improve the immune system.
- In addition to bacteria, it can also fight viruses.
12. Relieves Diarrhea:
- As tiger nuts can act as probiotics, it is able to get rid of bacteria in your digestive organ, especially the colon.
- Therefore, tiger nuts can help us cure digestive disease, such as diarrhea.
13. Avoid Swelling:
- The probiotic contained by tiger nuts can serve as the energy source for good bacteria in your digestive system.
- Therefore, it is able to keep your digestive system running smoothly.
- This condition will prevent stomach pain due to swelling.
14. Help Solve the Problem of Insomnia:
- It is believed that consuming tiger nut horchata or milk satisfies the body’s nutrient needs.
- In addition, you can help us relax and solve the problem of insomnia.
15. Relieves Stress:
- Tiger nuts basically have quality to help us be relaxed.
- One of the nutrient values of tiger nuts is vitamin B1, which is able to control the nervous system to relieve stress.
- Therefore, in addition to solving the problem of insomnia, the relaxed state of mind will definitely relieve our stress.
16. Nourishes the Skin:
- Tiger nuts contain vitamin C and E, which is very good for skin health.
- In addition, tiger nuts contain oil that is useful for moisturizing the skin, maintaining skin elasticity and maintaining skin youth.
17. Heals Dry Eyes:
- Tiger nuts can be used as eye pads to relieve the sensation of dry eyes after working in front of the computer screen.
- The omega 3 in tiger nuts acts as an anti-inflammatory that is able to maintain eye health.
18. Substitute for Milk:
- Some people are allergic to the lactose contained in cow’s milk, and in the end they cannot meet their need for nutrition contained in cow’s milk.
- But do not worry; We can substitute milk milk with tiger nut milk.
- Tiger nut milk contains high calcium content, but little lactose and fat.
19. Serves to Prevent Anemia:
- People call tiger nuts as superfood because they contain important nutrition that is very useful for the human body.
- One of these, iron, is able to improve the hemoglobin level.
- Normal hemoglobin will prevent anemia.
20. Contributes to Strengthening the Muscle:
- From tiger nuts you will also get natural magnesium that is very good for muscle and nerve function.
- In addition, the vegetable protein of tiger nuts is one of the non-meat proteins that are beneficial for muscle building.
21. Strengthens Bones and Teeth:
- In addition to the magnesium of tiger nuts that is capable of strengthening muscles, it can also strengthen bones and teeth.
- In addition, the high level of calcium contained in these Nigerian tiger nuts is definitely a support for strong bones and teeth.
22. Good for Healing Mouth Ulcers and Gums:
- Vitamin C and omega 3 from tiger nuts are the best solution to solve moth problems, such as gum sores.
- The anti-inflammatory agent will quickly help the healing process.
23. Fight Against Malnutrition:
- In underdeveloped nations, people cannot access highly nutritious foods.
- On the other hand, tiger nuts can be the solution to that problem.
- These small golden tubers are very rich in nutrients such as carbohydrates, fats, fiber, calcium, sodium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, copper, iron and zinc.
- They also contain many beneficial vitamins that are suitable to meet the nutritional need.
- Fortunately, tiger nuts are easily found in underdeveloped countries that fight against malnutrition, such as Africa.
24. Improves Sex Life:
- According to a 2015 study, eating tiger nuts can improve sexual performance, especially for men.
- It allows men to have shorter interruption times and an elevated testosterone level.
25. Improves Fertility:
- As mentioned earlier, tiger nuts are the good source of vitamin E.
- In addition to its ability to prevent cancer and aging, vitamin E also plays an important role for human fertility.
- For women, it will also help control menstruation.
Precautions for the Use of Tiger Nuts:
- Nigerian tiger nuts were mentioned as a good source of dietary fiber.
- However, consuming excessive amounts of tiger nuts will lead to a digestion problem such as bloating and diarrhea.
- It is also mentioned that tiger nuts are not low-calorie foods.
- As he concluded in a study at Harvard Medical School, the high level of fat in tiger nuts means the high calories it contains.
- Therefore, although they can be used for your diet, they should be supplemented with other healthy nutritious foods if you do not want to gain weight.
- Also, be sure to ensure the hygiene of the nuts and soak it in water for approximately 12 hours to make sure it is edible.
- In addition to the health benefits of tiger nuts, they can be used as many types of foods.
- You can simply consume dried roasted tiger nuts as an appetizer, drink the sweet milk of tigers, or use tiger nut flour for your cake and cookies.
- However, to avoid the side effect, it is suggested that we consume the appropriate amount of them.
- One of the recommendations for the beginner is to start with 10-20 nuts to check if you are resistant.
- As a recommendation, it is good to consume no more than 100gr of tiger nuts as they have already complied with 40% of our daily dietary fiber recommendation and 13-17% of the recommended daily dose of magnesium.