Oranges are another exotic fruit of the citrus family with so many human health benefits that you should know. Among other citrus fruits, kumquats are probably the least popular, but they don’t take for granted the tiny size of kumquats because this fruit is packed with many nutrients such as vitamins and minerals. That is why the kumquats deserve more attention, because this little citrus is not only unique in appearance, it has an oval shape, but also in the way of consuming it, since all the parts of the fruit of the kumquats are edible, including the skin.
Unlike other types of fruit in the citrus family, whose skin taste is intolerable bitter, the orange skin taste is surprisingly sweet and very pleasant to eat.
What are Oranges?
If you are not familiar with kumquats and wonder how small the size of this fruit is, you just have to compare it with a large olive. The scientific name of the kumquats is Citrus japonica and the name kumquat is derived from the Cantonese, gam-gwat which means “golden orange.” This fruit has been part of the history of China since the twelfth century (according to Chinese literature that mentioned it for the first time). However, China is not the only region that has been growing this small citrus, India, Taiwan, Japan and most of the regions in Southeast Asia are the natives of this exotic fruit as well. That is why oranges are more popular among Asians than among Europeans because Europeans and Americans did not know about the existence of this fruit until the 19th century, when a collector of the London Horticultural Society, Robert Fortune, brought this fruit to Europe in 1846 and then to North America.
Although the kumquats are well known as those that resemble orange in all aspects, but the size with oval orange skin and bright, but due to this fruit has been grown in different places and countries, there are three varieties that are widely known.
- U.S. Nagami Kumquat
It is also known as Fortunilla margarita is no different in appearance, but the taste is a bit acidic.
- The Meiwa Kumquat of Japan
It has a more rounded shape and its size is probably the largest among the other types of kumquats.
- Marumi Kumquat
It also has a round shape, but the taste is very sweet. This type of variety is popular in China and symbolizes good luck. There are currently more varieties of kumquats such as Hong Kong wild kumquats that is well known for being the smallest of the variety, jiangsu kumquats and centuries-old variegated kumquats. However, the three types of kumquats mentioned above are the most popular.
Serving size: 100 grams
- Calories 71
- Total fat 0.9 grams – 1%.
- Carbohydrates 16 grams – 5
- Fiber 7 grams – 28%.
- 9 grams sugar
- 1.9 grams protein
- Vitamin A 5%.
- Vitamin C 73%.
- Calcium 6%
- 4% iron
- 5% Magnesium
- Potassium 186 mg – 5%.
39 Benefits of Oranges Dietary Fiber Source:
The health benefits of oranges are surprisingly large compared to their small size. This fruit has been part of Chinese cuisine and herb for thousands of years and now you can enjoy the sweet flavors of the fruit while your body receives all the benefits of the nutrients it contains.
1. Rich in Fiber:
- Like any other citrus, oranges are also rich in fiber.
- Fiber is essential for human health because although this compound cannot be absorbed, but it could bind some unnecessary properties inside the intestine to be washed from the system.
2. Regulates the Healthy Digestive Tract:
- To have a healthy digestive system, what you need to do is eat at least 8 kumquats a day to satisfy your daily fiber intake.
- Well, since eating a handful of these fruits are very nice or delicious things to do, so you probably don’t care.
3. Optimizes Bowel Movement:
- There are many benefits that you can get when your bowel movement is at a normal rate.
- Too slow stools may cause problems such as constipation and not optimal nutrient absorption.
- While the intestine moves too fast, which is mainly caused by the infection of bacteria, conditions such as diarrhea can occur.
4. Eliminate Constipation Effectively:
- As mentioned in point number two, kumquats are able to help optimize bowel movements at a normal rate, so there are no problems such as constipation.
5. Regulates Excess Stomach Gas:
- Too much gas in your stomach is not only giving you an unpleasant sensation, but this condition could make you fart more, so it will also make people around you feel so uncomfortable.
Eating kumquats could help you regulate excess gas in your stomach effectively and naturally.
6. Optimizes Nutrient Absorption:
- The nutrients obtained from the food you eat are absorbed or wasted.
- The problem is sometimes when the digestive system is working and functioning optimally, the nutrients that are supposed to be absorbed are lost and the body lacks certain nutrients that will lead to more severe deficiency conditions.
7. Deal with Cramps Efficiently:
- You are one of those people who often suffer from stomach cramps.
- Well, it means that there is something wrong with your digestive tract.
- The factors that cause it may vary, but at least you know how to handle it effectively.
- Oranges could help you deal with cramps in the most delicious way you can think of.
8. Diabetes Friendly Foods:
- Most diabetic patients are struggling to find healthy snacks.
- Well, now they don’t need to worry anymore because oranges are considered very friendly for diabetic patients.
- The carbohydrate contained in the kumquats will not harm diabetic patients.
9. Optimizes Insulin Function:
- Although kumquats also contain carbohydrates, which are mostly avoided by diabetic patients, but kumquats contain a higher level of fiber that will help optimize insulin function, especially those who are currently suffering from type 2 diabetes.
10. Balance the Glucose Level:
- Once your insulin level is under control and works properly, controlling the level of glucose in the bloodstream is much easier.
- Insulin will convert glucose into fat cells that will then be used as energy when necessary.
- Just eating oranges could prevent an increase in blood sugar.
11. Accelerate Weight Loss:
- Like diabetic patients, those who are currently having problems with their weight strive to avoid snack time.
- Well, there is no need to avoid snacks if you could find healthy snacks that not only prevents you from gaining weight, but instead helps you lose your weight and oranges are one of those snacks.
12. Reduces the Need to Overeat:
- The main problem of people with weight problems is that sometimes they have no idea how to control the urge to overeat.
- The less they eat, the more they feel like overeating.
- Oranges are rich in fiber that will help suppress your appetite making you feel full longer.
- Also, when you feel like chopping something, take a handful of oranges that are not going to cause you to gain weight.
13. Control Cholesterol:
- There are two types of cholesterol, the bad and the good.
- Each of them has its own function, but they are supposed to be at the equilibrium level.
- Excessive “bad” cholesterol could cause the development of blood clots in the artery, which could lead to more serious conditions such as heart attack and stroke.
- They are rich in fiber will help to fix that level of “bad” cholesterol and at the same time they will promote the production of “good” cholesterol.
14. Rich in Vitamins:
- You must have known that all citrus varieties are rich in vitamin C and kumquats are no exception.
- In addition to vitamin C, kumquats are also rich in vitamin A.
15. Strengthening Immunity:
- Surely you have known that orange is closely related to vitamin C and that vitamin C is always associated with the immune system.
- Kumquats as one of the citrus varieties also have the same function.
- Therefore, eating oranges will provide you with a boost of natural immunity that will provide protection that your body essentially needs.
16. Stimulates Cell Growth:
- Vitamin C is also essential to stimulate the growth of new cells.
- Cellular regeneration is important for the human body because new cells are essentially necessary to replace old or dead cells.
- Healthy cells are the representations of a healthy body, you will look younger for longer, and your bones will stay strong even when you are aging and many more.
17. Accelerate Healing:
- One of the advantages of consuming vitamin C, not only helps you fight infections and prevent you from getting sick, but even if you get sick, vitamin C could help you speed up the healing process.
- You will feel much better in a shorter period once the daily intake of vitamin C is met.
18. Effectively Combat Viral Infections:
- Although most types of viral infections are not fatal but those conditions could put you in a very uncomfortable situation.
- Once the flu is spread, you may also have a fever and then a sore throat, nasal congestion and cough.
- Those combinations are not pleasant at all.
- Eating orange snacks daily could help you fight viral infection effectively.
19. Provides Skin Protection:
- Do you want to have healthy and young skin?
- What you need is to protect your skin from all the things that could damage it, such as direct sun exposure, degeneration of skin cells, free radicals and many more.
- Fortunately, this exotic fruit is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants that will provide the protection that your skin really needs.
20. Fight Against Free Radicals:
- Free radicals are harmful to your body. They are the main cause of the development of cancer cells.
- To prevent cancer, you need to fight free radicals from the beginning.
- Antioxidants are what you need to fight free radicals and oranges are one of those antioxidant-rich fruits.
21. Natural Anti-Aging:
- It is well known that antioxidant-rich foods are natural anti-aging.
- The question is how powerful is the antioxidant contained in food and whether it is effective as an anti-aging or not.
- Oranges are not only rich in powerful antioxidants, but also in vitamin C and these combinations provide you with a super powerful anti-aging.
22. Promotes Healthy Skin:
- When it comes to healthy skin, you don’t just talk about how fresh, clean and bright your skin is.
- Healthy skin means you don’t have dull skin, wrinkles, acne and other skin conditions.
- They are so rich in vitamin C and antioxidants that they could act as anti-aging and provide protection to the skin.
23. Prevents Cancer:
- Cancer is one of the diseases that it is not easy to deal with.
- Prevention is better than cure.
- Oranges are probably one of the most delicious ways to prevent the development of cancer cells by fighting their roots from the beginning.
24. Promotes Eye Health:
- Beta-carotene, well known as pro-vitamin A, is the reason why oranges acquire their bright orange color.
- In addition, the beta-carotene and vitamin A found in oranges are essential to promote eye health.
25. Prevents Macular Degeneration:
- Aging is something you can’t avoid, but getting older with a macular degeneration problem could be prevented as long as you know how to control your diet.
- Consuming foods rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene could prevent this condition effectively.
26. Reduces the Risk of Cataracts:
- Cataracts commonly occur when someone has reached adulthood. That is why it is important that you find a way to reduce risk when you are still young.
- Vitamin A and beta carotene have an important role in reducing risk.
27. Energy Reinforcement:
- Carbohydrates is what you need to store energy.
- Carbohydrates are absorbed by the body as glucose and insulin responsible for converting them into energy.
- They are a type of energy booster that you need to energize yourself.
28. Prevents Inflammation:
- The inflammations are the root of some health problems and the oranges contain vitamin C and vitamin A that could prevent inflammation effectively.
29. Protection Against Arthritis:
- One of the conditions caused by inflammation is arthritis.
- Therefore, if you could prevent inflammation it is possible to reduce the risk of arthritis as well.
30. Beneficial for Blood Vessels:
- The combinations of vitamins and minerals found in oranges are beneficial for blood vessels.
- The fiber will ensure that the vessels are free of unnecessary compounds, vitamin C will act as a detoxifier and the minerals will ensure that it is always in the right conditions.
31. Rich in Minerals:
- As mentioned earlier the fruit is not only rich in vitamins but also in minerals, some minerals such as calcium and potassium are found in relatively high amounts.
32. Promotes Stronger Bones:
- It is no secret that to have stronger bones, what you need is enough calcium in your body.
- As one of the citrus varieties, they are packed with some types of minerals including calcium.
33. Stimulates Healthy Hair Growth:
- Many studies have shown that there is a close relationship between minerals and healthy hair growth.
- So, if you want to have shiny, healthy and strong hair, why don’t you put oranges in your daily diet and prove it yourself?
34. Protect the Teeth:
- The calcium found in oranges is not only good for bones, but also oral organs especially protect teeth from decay and gum health.
35. Promotes the Production of Red Blood Cells:
- Minerals such as iron are what you need to promote the production of red blood cells and contain some minerals, especially iron.
36. Optimizes Nerve Transmission:
- One of the recent studies also indicated that minerals are closely associated with the function of the nervous system.
- It has been shown that daily consumption of oranges helps optimize nerve transmission.
37. Better Blood Circulation:
- Potassium is essential to ensure that blood circulation is not affected.
- Healthy blood circulation means that your heart is not forced to work too much and your blood vessels are in their best condition.
- Oxygenated Body Cells
- Better blood circulation will affect the distribution of oxygen brought by hemoglobin in red blood cells.
- Surely you have known that oxygen is essential for the body’s cells to function optimally and prominently for the regeneration of new cells.
38. Regulates Blood Pressure:
- Potassium has been well known to be effective in eliminating excess sodium in the bloodstream that could cause an increase in blood pressure.
39. Improves Brain Function:
- You have problems with your concentration; you may need to take a break to snack.
- However, do not eat sugary snacks that are harmful to your body, but choose oranges instead to improve the functioning of your brain so you can think better.
- Oranges are considered a healthy snack that can be consumed daily.
- Unfortunately, this fruit is not available in all seasons but during Christmas, these fruits are becoming one of those popular snacks.
- The list of health benefits of kumquats is quite impressive when compared to the word of caution.
- Like any other citrus variety that is rich in vitamin C, the acid content could cause some uncomfortable conditions in your stomach.
- Fortunately, kumquats are small-sized citrus fruits that a handful of it won’t hurt your stomach unless you have a serious stomach problem.
- As they are going to eat with the skin, you have to be very careful when washing them. Although they are organic, contamination of worms and bacteria is still possible.
How to Consume Oranges?
- The best way to consume kumquats are raw and with the skin.
- However, you should know where your kumquats come from because since you are going to eat them together with the skins it is better if you are only buying the organic variety whose cultivation process is free from the contamination of any toxic and dangerous chemical such as pesticides.
- Therefore, with so many health benefits of kumquats you could surely forget about some high-calorie treats that you usually consume because kumquats are not only delicious, but also healthy snacks.